|Embrace the stunning elegance and history of Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury in the heritage-listed, former Treasury building|
|Originally the offices for the State Treasury, Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury is one of the oldest and most historically significant buildings in South Australia. In order to transform the building into one of the country’s most appealing boutique hotels, Adina Apartment Hotels completely restored and rejuvenated the building’s interior. The key objective for the restoration was to retain and preserve the heritage features so that every guest can share in and be part of the building’s history.|
Key dates in history
- Designed in 1836 by George Strickland Kingston.
- In 1839 the foundation stone was laid by Governor Gawler who used the opportunity to proclaim that Adelaide would be the site of the capital city, finally laying to rest to much rumour and controversy as to where the capital would be located.
- In 1840 the courtyard garden was established. Today, Adina’s guests use the space to relax with a drink but back in the 1800s settlers slept in the courtyard as they queued for land grants.
- Australia’s first gold coin, the Adelaide pound, was minted on site during the 1850s Gold Rush.
- The population surge of the 1850s Gold Rush saw the Treasury building demolished and rebuilt over 70 years to accommodate Government offices, creating the building we see today.
- The Beef Riots of the 1930s took place at the Treasury site during the depression. The wide spread demonstrations rallied against the exclusion of the beef from rations.
Famous visitors to the site
- In 1863, explorer John McDouall Stuart was welcomed in front of the building after crossing Australia.
- Explorer Captain Charles Stuart worked in the Treasury as a surveyor.
- George Goyder, who established the famous Goyder’s line worked also worked as a surveyor.
- Robert Torrens who developed the land title systems widely adopted around the world worked in the Treasury building.
- From 1876 to 1968 Members of the Premier’s Cabinet met in the Cabinet Room.
- Sir Thomas Playford ran the state from the Treasury for 26 years.
- The Beatles dashed through the courtyard to elude fans in 1964.
- In 1969 Steele Hall’s Cabinet decided that no alterations be made to the Cabinet room, preserving it for future generations.
- Myth has it, that the tunnels were lined with steel tracks which formed a mini railway to transport supplies in miners carts.
- The underground tunnels were most used in the 1960’s, overflowing with cartographers & surveyors who worked for the lands department making and printing some of the best maps in the world.
- Another myth is that the tunnels extended to other buildings in the City – the underworld of Adelaide!
- In 1950s and 60s most of the internal fittings were stripped to reveal original features such as an ornate wooden staircase, vaulted brick ceilings, cast iron columns, footings and walls dating back to 1839.
- The hotel lobby features a permanent display of artefacts discovered during the work, including glassware, bone handles from cutlery, coins and much more
- Old Cabinet Room remains unchanged from its glory days, including the furniture
- Famous underground tunnels & a conserved old kiln
|Download PDF of Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury's Historic Guide here » |