Wollongong Shopping Precincts
10 of Wollongong’s best places for a dose of retail therapy
|General city shopping hours are Monday to Friday 9am-5.30pm with late night shopping on Thursday to 9pm. Most shops are open all day Saturday (9am-4pm) and Sunday 10am-4pm. |
1. Crown Street Mallis the heart and soul of Wollongong shopping. Its home to Wollongong Central Shopping Centre, David Jones and Myer department stores, Rebel Sport and more than 300 specialty stores.
2.Not just about fresh food,
Wollongong Produce & Creative Marketsrun every Friday from 9am to 3pm in Crown Street Mall and are a great place to buy some local art.
3. The Dapto marketsare held every Sunday at the local showground and are famous for its bric-a-brac and craft stalls. You’ll also find locally produced arts and crafts at the Coledale School Markets, held on the fourth Sunday of every month.
4. For unusual gifts with a scientific bent head to the
Science Centre Shop at the Science Centre and Planetariumat Fairy Meadow where you’ll find everything from tiny star stickers to telescopes, superballs, microscopes, slime and large gemstone world globes.
5. The Wollongong City Galleryhas a well-stocked art shop and is a great place to buy quality art books and prints, as well as local craft and cards. Open Tuesday to Friday 10am-5pm; weekends and public holidays noon-4pm. Corner of Kembla and Burelli streets.
6. If you are keen to tune into the local music scene pop into
Redback Music, which along with a wide range of national and international artists also stocks recordings of local Wollongong talent. 133 Crown Street Mall.
7. For good surf gear head to
Beach Street Surf Scene, a locally owned store with a great range of swimwear, surf wear, backpacks and accessories for men, women and kids. There are three locations: Dapto Mall, Shellharbour and Warilla Grove.
8. Bookworms take note:if you’re searching for that elusive first edition check out Pereys Books, which specialises in antiquarian and quality second-hand books. Even better, its open seven days 10am-10pm. 175 Keira St.
9. Shop till you drop in the tiny town of Berry, about an hour’s drive to the south, where you’ll find the main street lined with antique stores, art and craft galleries and homeware stores.
10. If you can’t find what you’re looking for in Wollongong, head to
Westfield Figtreewest of the city or
Westfield Warrawongin the south.
|Read more about Wollongong's highlights»|